Skip to main content

Important COVID-19 Update: 15 February

News story

We are delighted to inform you that the Government of Western Australia (WA) has announced changes to the directions relating to returning students.

Green trees

These changes mean that from today (15 February 2022) you can now travel to WA directly or via another Australian State or Territory to commence or continue your studies as long as you have an approved G2G Pass.

This means that it is now time to start making travel arrangements to arrive in WA as soon as possible, complete your self-quarantine period and commence your studies in time for the start of Semester 1 2022.

We anticipate there will be increased demand for flights and accommodation and therefore recommend that you act quickly. We’re here to help you through the process and recommend you check the FAQs on the Curtin Connect website for detailed information and guides.

As we announced a few days ago, we are also excited that the WA Government is supporting international students who returned to WA after 20 January 2022 with a grant for accommodation or other expenses for their arrival in WA.  Don’t forget to register your interest on the WA Government website to receive more information when it becomes available.

We know that this is the news you have been patiently waiting for and look forward to seeing you back on campus soon. However, there are a few practical steps you need to take to ensure a smooth return journey and entry into WA.

1. Vaccination

As well as being a requirement for entry to Australia and Western Australia, Curtin University recently announced a COVID-19 vaccination mandate for its staff, students, visitors and contractors on all Western Australian campuses and venues.

For more information about Curtin’s vaccination mandate or if have any concerns please ensure you view our regularly updated FAQs.

If you still require assistance you can submit an online enquiry with Curtin Connect selecting the ‘COVID19 Vaccination Requirements’ option. One of the team will get back to you.

2. Travel Arrangements

We recommend that international students consider itineraries that travel via another State or Territory if you are having difficulty securing a direct flight

Although international travellers can travel directly to WA, the international arrivals cap still significantly limits direct international arrivals. This means that you may find it difficult to secure a direct flight to WA.

Indirect arrivals are permitted to enter WA via another State or Territory and are not subject to the international arrivals cap and do not need to spend a minimum time in another State or Territory (for example, this means that you can fly to Perth via Sydney).

3. Self-Quarantine

All international and interstate arrivals into WA need to complete at least 7 days of self-quarantine in suitable premises.

On-campus accommodation residents

Unfortunately, because of State Government restrictions, it will still not be possible to self-quarantine in the on-campus accommodation you may have booked with UniLodge or St. Catherine’s College (Bentley) or Agricola (Kalgoorlie).

The University has arranged for students already booked into on-campus accommodation prior to 10 February 2022 to complete your self-quarantine period (including meals) in a hotel. This hotel accommodation is provided at no further cost beyond your weekly room fees.

You must tell us using the Curtin Connect webform that you intend to use the University’s hotel at least 72 hours (3 days) before you intend to travel so that we can ensure there is enough capacity in our partner hotels.

Information relating to G2G self-quarantine addresses is included below.

Off-campus accommodation

We’re aware that many students have already organised their own accommodation. If you are not staying in Curtin on-campus accommodation, Curtin University is still here to help you arrange suitable accommodation to complete your self-quarantine. However, you will be responsible for the full costs of your self-quarantine accommodation, meals, testing and travel.

Students needing to self-quarantine can also investigate private serviced apartments and short-stay accommodation options such as Airbnb or Stayz. You will need to confirm with the provider that the accommodation is suitable for self-quarantine purposes before booking.

If you need assistance, please complete the webform to provide your travel details and the Curtin Connect team will be in contact with you.

No accommodation organised

If you do not already have accommodation arranged for Semester 1 and you are returning, please prioritise organising somewhere to stay.

The University has availability within our on-campus accommodation at St. Catherine’s College and UniLodge facilities excluding Twin Dolphin Hall which is already fully booked.

Find out more information on our accommodation website or contact with any questions you may have.

4. Apply for a G2G Pass

A G2G Pass is required for all travellers to WA aged 16 years or older, and any child travelling unaccompanied (regardless of age). Applications can be made up to 60 days before your intended travel date on the WA Government G2G portal.

Returning students should select ‘Enrolled student in WA’ as their travel category to fall within the new travel rules.

If you have previously applied and your application was rejected, you can reapply, but you need to ensure that you have addressed any problems with your original application and provide further evidence or documentation.

The University has been working closely with WA Police, who are responsible for approval of the G2G applications. WA Police have informed us that many G2G applications are being rejected, because insufficient information is being supplied. Please view the Entry and Arrivals FAQ on the Curtin Connection website for information to assist you to correctly complete your G2G application.

5. Additional steps for international travellers to WA

Information on the additional steps you will need to take before departing from overseas, including completing the Digital Passenger Declaration and undertaking your pre-departure COVID-19 testing are all included on the Department of Home Affairs website.

6. Additional steps for travellers to WA from another Australian State or Territory

Travellers from another State or Territory must provide proof of a negative Rapid Antigen Test (RAT) or negative PCR test taken within 24 hours prior to departure on their journey to WA.

7. Keep Curtin updated

It is important that you keep Curtin updated with your travel plans, so we can provide the right support for you. Please submit your travel details using the webform.

For urgent support or in the case of a travel emergency, you can always contact Curtin Connect on 1300 222 888.


  • Ensure your COVID-19 vaccination information meets Australian requirements
  • Confirm travel arrangements
  • Arrange suitable premises for Self-Quarantine
  • Apply for your G2G Pass
  • Complete your pre-departure COVID-19 testing
  • International travellers must also complete a Digital Passenger Declaration
  • Keep us updated about your travel arrangements.

We understand that this can be a trying time for students and want to let you know we are committed to ensuring you have a smooth transition into your studies with Curtin regardless of your situation. For any other questions please visit our Curtin Connect webpage.

We look forward to welcoming you back on campus soon.