It’s not uncommon for women to post carefully crafted exercise photos on social media to foster a culture of empowerment. But could this be causing more harm than good?
In this episode, Amelia is joined by Dr Madison Magladry and Professor Cecilie Thøgersen-Ntoumani to discuss how we can build a more positive fitness culture that better supports women’s physical and mental health.
- Women’s fitness culture on Instagram [0:54]
- Why women exercise less than men [04.09]
- Fostering a more inclusive social media environment [09:43]
- Main factors affecting motivation [14:55]
- Fitness influencers becoming a source of authority [18:18]
- Broadening the discussion – experiences of non-binary people, older people and gay men in the gym [24:14]
- How COVID-19 has impacted fitness [31:40]
- Promoting a healthier fitness culture [36:37]
Dr Madison Magladry: Twitter – @MagladryMadison
Got any questions, or suggestions for future topics?
Curtin University supports academic freedom of speech. The views expressed in The Future Of podcast may not reflect those of the university.
Music: OKAY by 13ounce Creative Commons — Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported — CC BY-SA 3.0 Music promoted by Audio Library
You can read the full transcript for the episode here.